1. Reconstitute the dried mushrooms in about 1 cup of warm water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy pot and add the thinly sliced scallions. Fry for 1-2 minutes
3. Add the rice stirring to coat with the butter for few minutes until the edges of the grains are translucent.
4. Add the wine and let evaporate stirring occasionally.
5. Add the filtered water from the mushrooms and the broth little by little during cooking.
6. After about 10 minutes add the mushrooms to the pot. Keep adding the broth as necessary.
7. when the cooking is done, remove the pot from the heat, stir in a little butter and half the Parmigiano Reggiano and let rest covered for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve topped with the rest of the Parmigiano Reggiano and the freshly ground black pepper. A sprinkle of finely chopped chives or parsley leaves can be used as a garnish.
Detailed instructions to cook risotto with step by step pictures are available at the Cooking risotto page.
Fresh porcini mushrooms may be used if available. In this case the quantity should be increased by at least 4 times. Slice the mushrooms and saute' them in butter before adding them at step 6.
If home made chicken broth is not available it can be replaced with canned or chicken boullion (cubes).